• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Pollyanna


    "[reading Pollyanna's locket] When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will. - Abraham Lincoln."
    "He was President."
    "Yes, I know... but I've never heard *that* before."

    Pollyanna (Mills) has a unique gift: the ability to see the good in every situation. Her father was a poor minister and she learned to be glad for everything by playing the "Glad Game" (finding a reason to be happy regardless of the situation). Her parents have died and she is sent to live with her mother's sister, her Aunt Polly (Wyman), who is wealthy and lives in the town that is named for him (Harrington). Harrington is a sad town...the people are miserable and cynical.

    The town is swept away by Pollyanna's joyful attitude and her simple stories affect them in profound ways. She befriends Jimmy (Corcoran) the troublemaker orphan and manages to throw her aunt's household into confusion. Will she affect anyone? Will the carnival take place? And what does the future hold for our heroine?


    I know this film is somewhat dated, but I love the story. I have read Eleanor Porter's novel several times, and I grew up watching this film. Hayley Mills is charming and sweet as Pollyanna, in fact she won a special Juvenile Academy Award for her performance. Some people feel this feel does not stand up well overtime, but it does. Yes, it's sentimental...but isn't that a good thing? Maybe I'm just an old softy, but I enjoy this film and the idea that one little girl, with a positive attitude can change a town of sourpusses...but thats just me! Agnes Moorehead as the hypochondriac, cantankerous Mrs. Snow is incredible. She almost steals every scene she is in. Also lighting up the screen is Karl Malden's Reverend Ford, he is that part! The rest of the cast is believable and overall lovable.

    I grew up watching this film, and I love it! Whenever this film comes on TV (or I find my VHS of this film) I watch it...and love it.

    Rent it! It is a wholesome family film and lots of fun!
    Dude, it's quotable: there are some classic quips, none of which I can think of right now, but they are there.

    Pollyanna (1960) 134 minutes
    Director: David Swift
    Starring: Jane Wyman as Aunt Polly
    Richard Egan as Dr. Edmond Chilton
    Karl Malden as Reverend Paul Ford
    Nancy Olson as Nancy Furman
    Adolphe Menjou as Mr. Pendergast
    Donald Crisp as Mayor Karl Warren
    Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Snow
    Kevin Corcoran as Jimmy Bean
    Hayley Mills as Pollyanna

    1 comments:

    Manda said...

    just to let you know....i've got a blog with stuff about all the random entertainment news i find out about....it's just as eclectic as you would expect it to be : ) Miss you!!

     

    Followers