• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Once


    "How come you don't play during daytime? I see you here everyday."
    "During the daytime people would want to hear songs that they know, just songs that they recognize. I play these song at night or I wouldn't make any money. People wouldn't listen."
    "I listen."

    In Dublin (Ireland), the Guy (Hansard) plays his guitar on street corners. During the day he plays popular songs for tips, and at night he performs original songs. One night he meets the Girl (Irglova), who compliments his song and asks him the quote above. She is also a musician, but sells flowers by day to make a living, while he fixes vacuums with his father to pay the bills. She doesn't have a piano, but is able to play the display piano in a local music shop. Both are nursing a broken heart and use their music as a way to heal. He writes songs, which she fixes, and he fixes her broken vacuum. Together they gather other street musicians for their big break.


    It's all about the music, and I'm fine with that. The emotion comes through the music, and it is obvious that everyone involved loves music. The majority of the characters do not have names. Hansard and Irglova are not actors, they are musicians, but they bring genuine emotion to the roles, which is refreshing. Everyone I know loves this film, and I was worried I wouldn't love it. But no worries, I loved it! It isn't the typical musical where characters randomly break into songs, backed by seen or unseen singers and wearing shiny sequins...and it was a nice change (although I do love glitzy musicals). The songs are incredible and worth all the acclaim they received.

    Dude, it's quotable: just try to get the songs out of your head
    Rent it: did I mention the lead is Irish (!!), good story and not what you'd expect

    Once (2007) 85 minutes
    Rating: R for language
    Director: John Carney
    Starring: Glen Hansard as the Guy
    Marketa Irglova as the Girl

    0 comments:

     

    Followers