• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Young @ Heart


    "Jean, did you see that white light that everybody talks about?"
    [laughing] "No. I refused to look."

    A documentary about a senior citizen choir from Northampton, Massachusetts.  The group of twenty-two singers, known as "Young @ Heart", are known for their renditions of popular hard rock songs.  Director Stephen Walker, and his crew, follow the choir and director Bob Cilman for two months as they prepare the new material for their upcoming home concert and international tour.

    The choir interpret songs ranging from James Brown's "I Feel Good" to Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia."  The choir has unique interpretations on the song, making you re-evaluate the song and decipher the lyrics in new ways.  In addition to seeing how the songs are brought to life, you are taken inside the lives of the choir.

    I don't normally enjoy or seek out documentaries, but this was an exception.  It is engaging from the opening scene, as the oldest member of the choir, Eileen Hall, speaks the lyrics to "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by the Clash.  You will laugh, and you will cry: I dare you not to get choked up during the performance at the prison, or during Fred Knittle's performance of  Coldplay's "Fix You."  When I reach that age I hope to have half the energy these people have... and their zest for life.  I will not soon forget this movie.

    Young At Heart (2007) 107 minutes
    Director: Stephen Walker & Sally George

    0 comments:

     

    Followers