• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Oscar Picks 2018


    Once again it's time to predict the Oscar winners.  This is my 12th set of predictions.  Last year I saw 10 of the nominated film, and correctly predicted 7 of 8 categories (I don't predict all of them).  This year I saw 7 films (for the full list of nominees, go to the Academy Awards website):


    Baby Driver is nominated for Best Film Editing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Sound Mixing
    The Big Sick is nominated for Best Original Screenplay
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is nominated for Best Visual Effects
    Kong: Skull Island is nominated for Best Visual Effects
    Marshall is nominated for Best Original Song ("Stand Up for Something")





    Alright, let's get to the main event:

    Best Supporting Actor
    Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
    Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
    Christopher Plummer, All the Money In the World
    *Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

    Sam Rockwell
    I haven't seen any of these films, but Rockwell has been winning all awards.  If he doesn't win, I expect Willem Dafoe to take home the prize.


    Best Supporting Actress
    Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
    *Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
    Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
    Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

    Allison Janney
    Allison Janney is a fantastic actress, and based on the reviews I have read she is phenomenal in this role.  If she doesn't win, then Laurie Metcalf will probably win.


    Best Actor
    Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
    *Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

    Gary Oldman
    Daniel Day-Lewis is planning to retire after the Phantom Thread, so the Academy may choose to award his final film.  But the buzz calls in favor of Gary Oldman.


    Best Actress
    Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    *Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
    Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
    Meryl Streep, The Post

    Saoirse Ronan
    I don't know who will win, but I've heard good things about Ronan's performance.


    Best Director
    Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
    Jordan Peele, Get Out
    Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
    Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
    *Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water

    Jordan Peele or Christopher Nolan
    Both Peele and Nolan directed (and wrote) memorable and buzz-worthy films.  I expect to see one of them walk away with the prize.


    Best Animated Film
    The Breadwinner
    *Coco
    Ferdinand
    Loving Vincent

    Coco
    Coco will probably win.  The other films should just be happy to be nominated.


    Best Picture
    Call Me By Your Name
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    *The Shape of Water
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

    Dunkirk or Get Out
    The prize will probably go to The Shape of Water, but I'm calling it for Dunkirk or Get Out.


    *EDIT: 5 of 7
    I'm counting Best Picture, since I expected The Shape of Water to win.  Once again I didn't watch the show, but I read about the highlights.  I'm still planning to watch a few of the nominees.

    0 comments:

     

    Followers