• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Oscar Picks 2020


    This is my 14th year of predicting the Oscar winners.  Last year I saw 5 of the nominated film and correctly predicted 5 of 7 categories (I don't predict them all).  This year I saw 1 film (for the full list of nominees, go to the Academy Awards website), so I'm going to make some wild guesses:

    Avengers: Endgame

    Avengers: Endgame is nominated for Best Visual Effects

    Best Supporting Actor
    Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Al Pacino, The Irishman
    Joe Pesci, The Irishman
    Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

    Tom Hanks
    Brad Pitt has the buzz going into tonight's show, so he will probably win. However, I am more excited about Hanks take on Fred Rogers.


    Best Supporting Actress
    Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
    Laura Dern, Marriage Story
    Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
    Florence Pugh, Little Women
    Margot Robbie, Bombshell

    Laura Dern
    Darn has the buzz and has been collecting awards for her role, so I expect her to win.


    Best Actor
    Antonio, Banderas, Pain and Glory
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

    Joaquin Phoenix
    I have interest in seeing The Joker, but it seems like he is the frontrunner for this award.


    Best Actress
    Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    Charlize Theron, Bombshell
    Renee Zellweger, Judy

    Renee Zellweger
    I honestly don't know what to expect here, but the Academy loves to give awards to people playing real people, so I'm going to call it for her.


    Best Director
    Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
    Todd Phillips, Joker
    Sam Mendes, 1917
    Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

    Quentin Tarantino or Bong Joon-ho
    Tarantino always makes fascinating films, and this one is a hit. Joon-ho also has some buzz (his film is nominated for Best Picture and Best International Feature Film), so he could take home the statue. If anyone else can take the prize, it could be Sam Mendes.


    Best Animated Film
    How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    I Lost My Body
    Klaus
    Missing Link
    Toy Story 4

    Toy Story 4
    I'm surprised that Frozen 2 was not nominated for this award, so I'm going to call it for the Pixar nomination.


    Best Picture
    Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    1917
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

    1917
    For the camera work alone, I expect this to win.


    I hope Knives Out wins for Best Original Screenplay. I expect "Into the Unknown" to win Best Original Song.


    Edit: 5 out of 7, which has been my score for the last few years.  I am pleasantly surprised that Parasite took home the prize for both Best International Feature Film and Best Picture.  I don't know why Downton Abbey was not nominated for Best Costume Design, because the costumes are phenomenal (and period accurate, just like they were on the TV show).
    I don't know that this changes my desire to see any of the films... but I do plan to watch Frozen 2, Knives OutOnce Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Toy Story 4.

    0 comments:

     

    Followers