• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Oscar Picks 2021


    This is my 15th year of predicting the Oscar winners.  Last year I saw 1 of the nominated films and correctly predicted 5 of 7 categories (I don't predict them all).  This year I saw
    3 films (for the full list of nominees, go to the Academy Awards website):

    A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon

    Emma. is nominated for Best Costume Design, Best Makeup and Hairstyling


    Best Supporting Actor
    Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
    Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami
    Paul Raci, Sound of Metal
    Lakeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

    My Pick: Daniel Kaluuya
    I feel like he has the momentum at this point.


    Best Supporting Actress
    Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

    My Pick: Youn Yuh-jung
    Again, she has the momentum and I have only heard good things about her performance.


    Best Actor
    Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Gary Oldman, Mank
    Steven Yeun, Minari

    My Pick: Chadwick Boseman
    This is the Academy's last chance to award Chadwick Boseman, so I think they will take it.


    Best Actress
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

    My Pick: Frances McDormand
    Just a guess.  I assume it will be Frances McDormand or Viola Davis.


    Best Director
    Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    David Fincher, Mank
    Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round
    Chloe Zhao, Nomadland

    My Pick: Emerald Fennell
    I haven't seen any of these films, but let's spread the wealth and guess the direction for Promising Young Woman, or David Fincher for Mank.


    Best Animated Film
    Onward
    A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
    Soul
    Wolfwalkers

    My Pick: Soul
    Disney and Pixar normally dominate this category, so I think Soul will probably win.  However, I am most excited about Wolfwalkers - I have loved the Irish Folklore animated films of Tomm Moore.  I would be pleasantly surprised if it won, but I fully expect the award to go to Soul or Onward.


    Best Picture
    The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Minari
    Nomadland
    Promising Young Woman
    Sound of Metal
    Trial of the Chicago 7

    My Pick: ______
    Honestly, I have no clue.  I'm going to say Trial of the Chicago 7 (won the SAG Award) or Mank (a movie about the movie industry). 


    EDIT: 4 of 7, not great... but for only seeing 3 films, I accept it.

    0 comments:

     

    Followers