• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Oscar Picks 2024



    I have been predicting the Oscars since 2007. Last year I saw 9 of the nominated films and correctly predicted 5 of 7 categories (I don't predict them all). This year I saw 6 films:
    American Symphony
    Nai Nai and Wai Po 
    Oppenheimer
    The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

    American Symphony is nominated for Best Original Song
    Nai Nai and Wai Po is nominated for Best Live Action Short Film 
    The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar is nominated for Best Live Action Short Film

    Best Supporting Actor
    Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction 
    Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon 
    Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer 
    Ryan Gosling, Barbie
    Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

    My pick: Robert Downey Jr.
    I loved Ryan Gosling in Barbie, but Robert Downey Jr has the buzz. I would love to see Sterling K. Brown take the win, but I expect iy will be Downey.


    Best Supporting Actress
    Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer 
    Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple 
    America Ferrera, Barbie
    Jodie Foster, Nyad
    Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

    My pick: Da'Vine Joy Randolph 
    It is a strong list of actresses and powerful performances, but Da'Vine Joy Randolph is the favorite. I am excited to see her win and to check out her performance in The Holdovers. 


    Best Actor
    Bradley Cooper, Maestro
    Colman Domingo, Rustin
    Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers 
    Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer 
    Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction 

    My pick: Cillian Murphy 
    It's got to be Cillian Murphy.  He is great in Oppenheimer without going too far. The other nominees are good (and I could see Paul Giamatti or Jeffrey Wright take the win here), but Murphy will win.


    Best Actress
    Annette Bening, Nyad
    Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon 
    Sandra Huller, Anatomy of a Fall 
    Carey Mulligan, Maestro
    Emma Stone, Poor Things

    My pick: Lily Gladstone 
    Lily Gladstone has been the favorite in this category and seems like the sure-thing.


    Best Director
    Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
    Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon 
    Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer 
    Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things 
    Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest 

    My pick: Christopher Nolan 
    Oppenheimer is an incredible film and I fully expect Christopher Nolan to win.


    Best Animated Film
    The Boy and the Heron 
    Elemental
    Nimona
    Robot Dreams 

    My pick: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 
    I expected The Super Mario Bros. Movie to be nominated here and I'm disappointed that it isn't. I believe Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will win, but, it is up against a Miyazaki film, The Boy and the Heron. If Spider-Man doesn't win, it will be because of Heron.


    Best Picture
    American Fiction
    Anatomy of a Fall 
    The Holdovers
    Killers of the Flower Moon 
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer 
    Past Lives 
    Poor Things 
    The Zone of Interest 

    My pick: Oppenheimer 
    I hate to see a single film sweep the awards, but I'll make an exception this year. Barbenheimer was a thing for a long time and it seemed like this award (and award season in general) would be a dual between Barbie and Oppenheimer, but Oppenheimer has the most nominations, a strong script, effects, direction, cast etc and I think it will be rewarded here (although I do expect Barbie to win Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Song).


    Extras:
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. It has the meticulous detail that director Wes Anderson is known for and feels like the perfect showcase for Roald Dahl's Story. I expect it will win Best Live Action Short Film. 
    2. I expect "What Was I Made For?" (from Barbie) by Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell to win Best Original Song.


    EDIT: 7/9
    Not too bad

    0 comments:

     

    Followers