• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Marie Antoinette


    "Letting everyone down would be my greatest unhappiness."

    I just watched this film and was supremely disappointed. Friends who had already seen it said you either love it or you hate it...I find myself somewhere in the middle. Here are some major issues/thoughts I have regarding the film (along with the opinions of the friends I saw this with)

    1. The costumes were amazing! Gorgeous, colorful, fun...they deserve the awards they are nominated for
    2. The scenery (Palace of Versailles) is breathtaking: the French government granted special permission for the crew to film in the Palace of Versailles.
    3. The infusion of modern music and period pieces (18th century music) was an interesting choice, but definitely works with the rest of the film.
    4. None of the main characters are French or even attempt French accents and Kirsten Dunst did not even try to butcher an Austrian accent. The film does not take place in America, so why do American actors have the leads (especially Dunst who I found to be annoying)
    5. If I never see a film where Kirsten Dunst is naked (or partially naked) it will be too soon!!
    6. Why does the film end where it does? We were all P.O.ed when they did not show the guillotine (not that I want to see all the blood and gore when people are beheaded, but it could be done tactfully...it is a crucial moment in her life, why the hell don't they show it??)

    The film begins as the teenage (15 yr. old) Marie Antoinette (Dunst) leaves her home in Austria to serve as a pawn between her beloved Austria and France, by marrying the air to the throne, Louis XVI (Schwartzman). She leaves her home with the knowledge that her union is crucial to her country. She carries her beloved dog and two friends...but anyone marrying into the French royalty is not permitted to retain anything that is not French, so at the exchange point (I believe they have a different name for it in the film) she must bid adieu to her companions (and her dog) and is stripped naked so she can be clothed in French garments and taken to meet her fiance. There is no chemistry between Marie and Louis as they meet and marry. She quickly learns that her place in the court is not permanent: she must 1. consummate her marriage, 2. speak to the King's mistress (Torn is the King, and Asia Argento is his mistress Madame du Barry), 3. produce a male air to the throne. She must observe a strict protocol (she cannot dress herself, and is waited on hand-and-foot), but is able to enjoy the finer things in life: gambling, expensive clothing, lavish parties, large quantities of food...it's sickening
    This film drove me crazy...everything was beautiful, but this is not a beautiful story. Honestly I didn't care that Marie and Louis were having relationship difficulties...I couldn't identify with her and I didn't want to. I was not a big fan of "Lost in Translation" also by Coppola, so perhaps that fact clouded my judgment, but this film just doesn't work. Some scenes are funny, but at other times I just wanted to slap Marie. Perhaps her life was boring, but I was sick of the montages of her doing the same thing by the second one...it just made the 2 hours seem like an eternity.
    I would have preferred a darker film (considering the subject), and a different ending...but hey, I've seen it and can now move on with my life!

    Don't waste your money: Wait till it is shown on television or watch it online but don't buy/rent this film... (I only spent a dollar to see it and I feel ripped off)...but don't take my word for it, I know people that loved this film and Roger Ebert gave this film a positive review...basically it's all up to you

    Marie Antoinette (2006) 123 min
    Rating: PG-13 for sexual content, partial nudity and innuendo
    Director: Sofia Coppola
    Starring: Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette
    Jason Schwartzman as Louis XVI
    Rip Torn as Louis XV
    Steve Coogan as Ambassador Mercy
    Judy Davis as Contesse de Noailles

    0 comments:

     

    Followers