• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Ned Kelly


    "I've never shot a man, but if I do, so help me God, you'll be the first!"

    After a stint in prison for stealing a horse, Ned Kelly (Ledger) is ready to live a normal life. He moves home with his mother (Kris McQuade) and siblings, and gets a job working with horses. Things seem to be going smoothly, until Ned stops a local police officer from pursuing his sister Kate (Cordon). The wrath of the police comes on the Kelly family, culminating in the officer claiming Ned shot him. The police arrest Mrs. Kelly and send Ned, his brother Dan (Kinlan), and their friends Joe (Bloom) and Steve (Barantini) go on the run. While gone they rob banks, burn mortgage papers, and give the money to their needy neighbors...and kill three officers. These activities catch the attention of Superintendent Hare (Rush) who leads a small army to capture the notorious Kelly gang.


    Honestly I liked this film, however, it reminded me of other similar films (Robin Hood, American Outlaws, etc). Heath Ledger was good, but Orlando Bloom managed to steal any scene he was in (the man can't really act, but he is charming). The subplot with Ned's affair with his boss's wife, Julia (Watts) could have been developed better. Overall I thought it was good, but I don't know anything about the real history of Ned Kelly (I had never heard of him until I watched this film), so I don't know how accurate the story is, but I was entertained.

    --: there were some good twists that I wasn't expecting, plus the Irish accents in Australia were pretty classic.
    Rent it: it gives you a good history lesson, but it is still interesting

    Ned Kelly (2003) 110 minutes
    Rating: R for violence and brief nudity.
    Director: Gregor Jordan
    Starring: Heath Ledger as Ned Kelly
    Orlando Bloom as Joe Byrne
    Geoffrey Rush as Superintendent Hare
    Naomi Watts as Julia Cook
    Jole Edgerton as Aaron Sherritt
    Laurence Kinlan as Dan Kelly
    Philip Barantini as Steve Hart
    Kerry Condon as Kate Kelly

    0 comments:

     

    Followers