• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Foreign Correspondent


    "I came 4,000 miles to get a story. I get shot at like a duck in a shooting gallery, I get pushed off buildings, I *get* the story, and then I've got to shut up!"

    The editor of the New York Globe is frustrated by the lack of news coming from Europe.  His solution, send rouge reporter John Jones (McCrea), who he renames "Huntley Haverstock."

    "How would you like to cover the biggest story in the world today?"
    "Give me and expense account and I'll cover anything."
      "I'll give you an expense account."
      "Okay, What's the story?"
      "Europe."
      "Well, I'm afraid I'm not exactly equipped, sir, but I can do some reading up."
    "No no, no reading up. I like you just as you are, Mr. Jones. What Europe needs is a fresh, unused mind."
      "Foreign correspondent, huh?"
      "No, reporter. I don't want correspondence, I want news."

    Once in Europe, Jones stumbles onto a big story when he witnesses the murder of the Dutch diplomat Van Meer (Bassermann).  With the help of two European reporters: cynical Scott Ffolliott (Sanders) and lazy Stebbins (Benchley) "They love to cable from New York. It makes them think that you're working for them," and the woman of his dreams, Carol Fisher (Day), he seeks the truth.  Will he survive the attempts on his life and break the big story before war begins?


    It is interesting to compare this film to Hitchcock's previous American film, RebeccaRebecca was a serious suspense film... no little touches of humor.  This film seems like a strange follow-up.  He juggles suspense and humor... the humor is prevalent without taking away from the suspense of the story.  This film was made prior to the U.S. joining WWII and serves as a "propaganda" film, encouraging this action.

    This film tends to be overlooked in the Hitchcock cannon (I initially missed adding it to my Netflix Queue and to my Hitchcock Filmography)... but it is still a great film.  Yes, it is a reflection of the time it was made, but there are still some great sequences, such as Jones navigating his way through an old windmill, barely avoiding discovery by Van Meer's assassin and cohorts... that remind you this is a Hitchcock film (great camera angles too).  Just the right amount of suspense and humor to keep you guessing throughout.  Interesting cast, you can't help loving some of the villains, and story.

    Foreign Correspondent (1940) 120 minutes
    Director: Alfred Hitchcock
    Starring: Joel McCrea as John Jones ("Huntley Haverstock")
    Laraine Day as Carol Fisher
    Herbert Marshall as Stephen Fisher
    George Sanders as Scott Ffolliott
    Albert Bassermann as Van Meer
    Robert Benchley as Stebbins

    0 comments:

     

    Followers