• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    TV: Primeval


    "Oh, God! You know what? All my life I've wanted to be in a crime-busting gang! And now I am. So... I don't suppose you'd consider giving me a cool nickname, would you?"
    "No."
    "I thought not."

    Strange glowing orbs called anomalies begin opening in England.  The anomalies are portal to other time periods and allow dangerous creatures to pass into our time.  The government doesn't know what to do, so they call on a group of scientists led Professor Nick Cutter (Henshall).  Cutter is an evolutionary zoologist and is joined by his assistant and best friend Stephen Hart (Murray), who is a skilled tracker / marksman; his student Connor Temple (Potts) who is a computer genius and science nerd; zookeeper and reptile expert Abby Maitland (Spearritt); and their Home Office handlers Claudia (Brown) and James Lester (Miller).  When creatures are on the loose, Cutter's team is called to handle the situation before too much goes wrong.

    Unfortunately, they are not the only people who know about the anomalies.  Eight years ago, Cutter's wife, Helen (Aubrey), disappeared through an anomaly and was believed dead.  She survived by traveling between anomalies and now has her own plans for how to use them to change time.  Can the team stay one step ahead of Helen and the creatures, or will the battle claim their lives?


    I discovered Primeval through Netflix... I had heard of it (mostly after I watched Alice the SyFy miniseries and was intrigued by Andrew Lee Potts) but didn't know anything about it.  So a few weeks ago I sat down and gave it a try... and was hooked after the first episode.

    The premise is intriguing, but I wasn't sure how they would keep it from getting old.  But they manage to shake things up each series (season).  Each series wrapped up the main arc and then reset in unique ways.  I prefer the first 2 series, but each series has good and bad moments.

    The cast is interesting.  Other than Potts, the only actor I recognized was Hannah Spearritt (I have to admit, I watched her S Club TV shows: S Club in Miami and S Club in L.A.).  I want to watch more BBC shows (because they are excellent and have short enough seasons that I don't lose interest / focus, like I tend to with American TV shows) to see these actors in other roles.

    In 2012, after the show was cancelled, they created an American version of the show, set in Canada.  I haven't heard good things, but I already put it in my Netflix queue (it stars Niall Matter from Eureka) and want to see what they do with the premise.

    An interesting show with a good cast (the 4th and 5th series have a different feel than the first 3, but they are still good).  Things aren't always what they seem and only a few characters are irredeemable villains (which is a nice change of pace).

    Primeval (2007-2011)
    Creator: Adrian Hodges & Tim Haines
    Starring: Douglas Henshall as Nick Cutter
    James Murray as Stephen Hart
    Andrew-Lee Potts as Connor Temple
    Hannah Spearritt as Abby Maitland
    Lucy Brown as Claudia Brown / Jenny Lewis
    Jason Flemyng as Danny Quinn
    Ciaran McMenamin as Matt Anderson
    Ben Mansfield as Captain Hilary Becker
    Laila Rouass as Sarah Page
    Ruth Kearney as Jess Parker
    Ben Miller as James Lester
    Juliet Aubrey as Helen Cutter
    Alexander Siddig as Philip Burton

    0 comments:

     

    Followers