• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Alvin and the Chipmunks


    "You know, if I make a list of my worst days ever, guess what? Today would be on top of the list."
    "And it's still early."

    On Saturday my mother shared the Alvin & the Chipmunks soundtrack with me, and I wasn't quite sure how to take it...Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" and the original versions of "The Witch Doctor" and "The Chipmunk Song" were cute and catchy, but the rest of the album: a mix of contemporary remixed crap had the cute chipmunk voices, but otherwise I wasn't feeling it (even though I'm listening to it now...for inspiration). Needless to say, I wasn't sure what the movie would bring (even though I know lots of people who enjoyed it).

    Dave Seville (Lee) is a frustrated advertiser by day, and an aspiring songwriter the rest of the time. He has the drive, but lacks the material to create a hit. Luckily for Dave after his failed meeting with the head of the local record label Ian (Cross) he accidentally brings home the 3 chipmunks. Alvin (Long) is "awesome", Simon (Gubler) is smart, Theodore (McCartney) is adorable. Dave eventually learns that the chipmunks could be the next big deal, so he offers them a deal: they can live with him, but they have to sing his songs. He is inspired to write a few big hits (Chipmunk Song and Witch Doctor...remixed, not the classic versions everyone knows), which catch Ian's eye and makes the chipmunks the next big thing and potential worldwide superstars.


    Ok. I grew up watching the chipmunks on tv and their random movies with the Chipettes, and I loved them (I'm not ashamed). That being said, I thought the movie was cute and funny. The CGI is alright, but Theodore is the only chipmunk you really get to know. The other two are featured, but Simon never really makes a splash. Jason Lee is good, but he isn't in as much of the film as I thought he would be...and while I love David Cross (he was on "Arrested Development", what is there to not love?) he was pretty much wasted. He does have some funny moments, but something just didn't work for me. So ultimately, it was cute, but I don't think I'll add it to my favorite kiddie films...but I hear they will be making a sequel...not really sure how to feel about that.

    Dude, it's quotable: the songs are catchy and toe-tappers. And there are some cute little lines.
    --: it's funny, but I think younger kids will enjoy it a little more than I did.

    Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007) 92 minutes
    Rating: PG for some mild rude humor
    Director: Tim Hill
    Starring: Jason Lee as Dave
    David Cross as Ian
    Cameron Richardson as Claire
    Justin Long as Alvin
    Matthew Gray Gubler as Simon
    Jesse McCartney as Theodore

    0 comments:

     

    Followers