• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


    "I've never had dreams, only nightmares."

    Well you asked for it! According to the results of my poll, "What do you want to see me review next?" it's time to talk about Mr. Sweeney Todd...if you don't like the sight of blood, I'm sorry.

    After many years of wrongful imprisonment, Sweeney Todd (Depp) returns to London to pick up the pieces of his life. However things are not as he remembers them...his barbershop is in ruins, his wife Lucy is dead, and his daughter Johanna (Wisener) is now the ward of the man he hates: Judge Turpin (Rickman) who is the main cause of Todd's unhappiness. He returns to his home, and the company of his landlady Mrs. Lovett (Carter) an unsuccessful baker (she makes the worst pies in London).

    With Mrs. Lovett at his side, he is reunited with his razors and begins to develop a plan for revenge. Meanwhile, his a young sailor named Anthony (Bower) falls in love with Johanna from a far...and Todd meets his competition, a new barber named Pirelli (Cohen)...and a beggar woman (Kelly) seems to know the secret to Mrs. Lovett's business. This is the bloodiest musical there is...I'm sure you can imagine what happens (or you already know), regardless I won't spoil the "fun".


    I have never seen this musical, nor was I familiar with the music (although I did recognize some tunes). OH MY GOD! This is incredibly bloody...and honestly I don't think I'll ever look at meat the same way. I'm not usually affected by blood, but the vast quantities made my stomach turn. Anyway, I was surprised at how well all of the actors/actresses did in their respective parts. We all know Johnny Depp can brood, but the man can also sing! Helena Bonham Carter is not my favorite actress...but she did pretty well. Alan Rickman was smarmy and Sacha Baron Cohen was good too (without being too over the top). Overall it was definitely a Tim Burton film...and super dark, but I think it worked. For Burton's first musical I'd say it was pretty good, however I don't know how it stacks up to the original. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the film...the music is good, the cast is good, but I'm still not sure.

    --: the songs will stick with you.
    --: if you like Sondheim, Johnny Depp, or Tim Burton you will probably enjoy the film.

    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) 116 minutes
    Rating: R for graphic bloody violence
    Director: Tim Burton
    Starring: Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd
    Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett
    Alan Rickman as Judge Turpin
    Timothy Spall as Beadle
    Sacha Baron Cohen as Pirelli
    Jamie Campbell Bower as Anthony
    Laura Michelle Kelly as Beggar Woman
    Jayne Wisener as Johanna
    Ed Sanders as Toby

    0 comments:

     

    Followers