• put your amazing slogan here!

    Coming Soon

    • Oppenheimer
    • Fast and Furious franchise
    • North by Northwest
    • Werewolves Within
    • Ever After

    Forgetting Sarah Marshall


    "Do you want to put some clothes on!"
    "Oh, would you like to pick out the outfit that you break up with me in!"

    Peter (Segel) has a good life. For the last five years he has been writing music of a successful C.S.I.-esque show and dating the lead, Sarah Marshall (Bell). She arrives at their apartment, and proceeds to break up with a nude Peter (it is awkward, and the quote above is part of their conversation). She leaves, and he is left to wallow. Everything in the apartment reminds him of their 5 years together, and on television he learns that she has a new beau, rocker Aldous Snow (Brand). Peter's step brother Brian (Hader) suggests a vacation, so Peter decides to go to Hawaii to forget about his misery.

    Of course, he ends up staying at the same resort as Sarah and Aldous. He divides his time between crying and drinking, but eventually decides to interact with people. He takes surfing lessons from stoner Chuck (Paul Rudd) and begins a friendship with the hotel receptionist, Rachel (Kunis), and learns how to have fun again.


    This is my first Judd Apatow film...well, the first one I finished (I watched the majority of "Superbad"), and I don't really feel like I was missing much. This film was a little too raunchy for my tastes: we see Peter naked twice, lots of sex (mostly played for laughs), and there is a subplot about newlyweds Darald (McBrayer) and Wyoma (Thayer) which is all about their sex life. There were laughs, like Peter's Dracula "rock opera" with puppets (probably the funniest part of the film), and the dinner scene (with the four main characters). Overall, while some parts were funny, it was hard to connect with all the characters. I like Jason Segel (I love "How I Met Your Mother") and he had some good moments, and I like Jack McBrayer (he is incredible on 30 Rock) but I just couldn't enjoy his scenes here (even though the characters he plays are similar). The interactions with Peter's step brother and his wife (Cackowski) weren't particularly interesting or funny...and Jonah Hill stalking Aldous was just weird. Russell Brand was probably the most memorable character, while the two main women (Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis) just didn't seem plausible... I can appreciate aspects of the film, but I don't think I would watch the whole thing again. I am curious about other Apatow films (like "Knocked Up"), but based on this film, and the parts I saw of "Superbad" and "Walk Hard," I don't think I'm missing much.

    --: It was o.k., but definitely not for everyone....if you like this kind of humor, go for it..
    --: I can't recommend this film...but it hasn't really changed my opinion of the actors involved... if they cut out the nudity (I don't need / want to see it...what happened to the whole "less is more" scenario?) and the newlyweds subplot it would be better....

    Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) 112 minutes
    Rating: R for sexual content, language and some graphic nudity
    Director: Nicholas Stoller
    Starring: Jason Segel as Peter Bretter
    Kristen Bell as Sarah Marshall
    Mila Kunis as Rachel
    Russell Brand as Aldous Snow
    Bill Hader as Brian Bretter
    Liz Cackowski as Liz Bretter
    Maria Thayer as Wyoma
    Jack McBrayer as Darald
    Jonah Hill as Matt (the Waiter)
    Paul Rudd as Chuck

    0 comments:

     

    Followers